The Midtown East (Manhattan, New York) based doctors, dentists and dental pain specialists at the Orthodontics Center of NYC are proud to offer patients a variety treatments for temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder. TMJ dysfunction may occur as a result of osteoarthritis, head / neck / jaw injury, existing dental issues, or jaw clenching / teeth grinding. Patients who suffer from TMJ dysfunction commonly report symptoms such as unwavering headaches and / or facial pain. The Orthodontics Center of NYC (located in the heart of the Upper West Side in Manhattan, NY) is home to some of the top dentists and TMJ specialists in the greater New York metro area and our team is dedicated to providing patients with best in class care in a relaxing, concierge environment.
- We offer complimentary consultations
The best in class doctors, dentists, and dental pain specialists at the Orthodontics Center of NYC (Manhattan, NYC) are highly trained in TMJ disorders and routinely diagnose and treat patients suffering from TMJ-related dysfunction. Studies suggest that about 40% of patients with TMJ experience facial pain, while as many as 80% experience intense, unwavering headaches. TMJ dysfunction is treatable and curable, though it is important to see a doctor upon experiencing symptoms. Our dentists and TMJ specialists at the Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC based Orthodontics Center of NYC are experts in the quick identification, diagnosis, and treatment of TMJ dysfunction.
Symptoms associated with TMJ conditions typically continue to worsen when left untreated, this can cause increased pain and the presence of joint inflammation or damage, in addition to teeth erosion / breakdown. This can lead to additional facial, neck, and head pain, especially if the jaw is not aligned. Untreated TMJ dysfunction related symptoms adds continuous wear and tear with every jaw movement (speaking, swallowing, chewing, yawning, sleeping), which is why it is important to make an appointment with a dentist or TMJ specialist to evaluate and treat the condition.
- BOTOX™ / Trigger Point Injections: Trigger point injection therapy can help relieve TMJ dysfunction pain and re-educate the muscles. It consists of injecting a local anesthetic into painful sites. BOTOX™ may relieve TMJ pain for about 3–8 months.
- Chiropractic Treatment: This may consist of foot orthotics, applied kinesiology, atlas orthogonist, cranial therapy, ART, or SOT.
- Medication: Non-surgical treatments for TMJ dysfunction may consist of Medrol, muscle relaxers, or neuropathic medication. A sedative may be prescribed for patients that suffer from overnight teeth clenching.
- Oral Appliances / Bite Guards: The Orthodontics Center of NYC is proud to offer patients the Gelb™ TMJ appliance, along with the Farrar™ TMJ appliance, Gelb TMJ NYU™ and MORA™ TMJ appliances to effectively align the jaw, decompress the auriculotemporal nerve, and decrease jaw clicking. Our practice offers stabilization appliances used in conjunction to address cognitive behavior habit control and myofascial pain.
- Physical Therapy: Physical therapy is employed for patients in need of myofascial release, deep muscle therapy, and TMJ mobilization. Our top rated team utilizes treatments such as Feldenkrais, Alexander technique, ultrasound, stim, heat and cold, cold laser, and postural correction. Craniosacral therapy may also help with TMJ dysfunction.
- Sleep Appliances: We offer a total of eight sleeping appliances, as breathing related sleep disorders are commonly diagnosed alongside TMJ disorders.
During your initial consultation with the best in class dentist / TMJ specialist at the Orthodontics Center of NYC (Midtown, New York), the doctor will evaluate your mouth and review your full medical history to determine the best course of action. The NY based dentist / TMJ specialist will recommend a course of treatment depending on your unique anatomy and needs. You will have the opportunity to speak with the dentist one on one to address any questions or concerns you may have about the final TMJ dysfunction treatment method.
The Orthodontics Center of NYC specializes in taking exceptional care of each orthodontic patient. The honor and privilege of caring for our patients comes with the responsibility and dedication from our best in class orthodontists and our staff to adhere to the utmost standards of excellence in orthodontic patient care. As top-rated, best in class orthodontists we provide highly personalized and comprehensive care. If you have any questions or would like to schedule an orthodontic consultation please feel free to contact our Upper West Side (Manhattan, NY) orthodontic practice for an orthodontic consultation.
Orthodontics Center of NYC
263 West End Ave, Floor 1
New York, NY 10023